Work Visa Attorney Slidell LA

Slidell Work Visa Lawyers

Strong representation for those who want to work in Slidell or throughout Louisiana

James Gramham Law Offices Rule

The U.S. State Department estimates that approximately 140,000 work-based immigration visas are allocated each fiscal year (October 1 to September 30). At the Law Office of James A. Graham in Slidell, our immigration attorneys assist individuals and families in the process of obtaining work visas, addressing visa renewals, and resolving inquiries related to employment in the United States.

Do I have to have a job to come and work in America?

James Gramham Law Offices Rule

Typically, yes. Most immigrants arriving for employment in the United States have a job or a job offer and act as sponsors for those workers. The employer initiates the process by seeking labor certification approval from the U.S. Department of Labor. Upon obtaining certification, the employer can submit an immigration petition for the foreign worker (Form I-140) to USCIS, aligning with the suitable employment category.

Various preference categories exist for obtaining permanent lawful residency in the U.S. for work, alongside distinct categories for temporary work in the country.

Who can seek permanent work in Louisiana?

The U.S. State Department outlines five main categories for "permanent" employment opportunities for immigrants in the United States:

Employment First Preference (E1) – Priority Worker and Persons of Extraordinary Ability

  • Persons with extraordinary abilities in sciences, education, business, arts, or athletics do not require a specific job offer. They need supporting documentation showcasing their expertise and acclaim in their field.
  • Outstanding professors and researchers with international recognition require a job offer for a tenure or research position, and the employer files the Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker (Form I-140).
  • Multinational managers or executives with three years of overseas managerial experience need a job offer, and the employer files the Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker (Form I-140).

Employment Second Preference (E2)

This category is for professionals with advanced degrees or exceptional abilities. The applicant needs a labor certification approved by the U.S. Department of Labor and a job offer. Some may qualify for a National Interest Waiver (NIW). Subgroups include professionals with advanced degrees and five years' experience, and individuals with exceptional ability in sciences, arts, or business.

Employment Third Preference (E3) – Skilled Workers, Professionals, and Unskilled Workers

Employers must file the Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, Form I-140, and the labor certification request. This group of workers receives 28.6 percent of the annual global limit of employment-based immigrant visas, plus unused visas from the E1 and E2 categories. There are three subgroups:


  • Skilled workers with at least two years of non-temporary or seasonal training or work experience in jobs that cannot be filled by the current U.S. labor pool.
  • Professionals with at least a baccalaureate degree and must fill positions that current U.S. professionals cannot.
  • Unskilled workers who are capable of filling positions with less than two years of training or experience where qualified U.S. workers are unavailable.

Employment Fourth Preference (E4) – Certain Special Immigrants

This category, receiving 7.1 percent of yearly visas, includes various subgroups like broadcasters, religious ministers, former employees of the Panama Canal Zone, Iraqi and Afghan interpreters, and certain religious workers.

Employment Fifth Preference (E5) – Immigrant Investors

Intended for foreign investors in new commercial enterprises providing U.S. jobs.

Upon USCIS approval, the National Visa Center (NVC) guides applicants through the steps to obtain Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status once their "priority date meets the most recent qualifying date."

Can a worker’s spouse or minor child obtain an immigrant visa?

Work Visa Lawyer Slidell LA

Our immigration visa attorneys in Slidell can assist in completing applications for spouses and minor children (under 21) who are applying for immigrant visas alongside the primary worker. We ensure the proper submission of required fees and facilitate the completion of essential medical exams for the spouse and child.

According to the guidelines from the U.S. State Department, same-sex spouses of U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) and their minor children are now entitled to identical immigration benefits as heterosexual spouses. Consular officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates will review their immigrant visa applications after they receive an approved I-130 or I-140 petition from USCIS.

Are there limits on the number of employer-immigration petitions?

Limits are based on the type of work and its priority level. Typically, the date on which the immigration petition is submitted is the priority date. Specific categories may lead to longer waiting periods for approval, sometimes up to several years. Our lawyers will clarify your priority date, keep you updated when it aligns with the qualifying date, and provide information about applicable fees and their due dates.

What documents do Slidell immigrants need to provide for a work visa?

Applicants must furnish valid passports, appropriately sized photographs, and various civil documents such as birth and marriage certificates and complete the proper forms, beginning with the I-140 form.

An interview is mandatory, during which the applicant must demonstrate that they are not likely to become a public charge. The interview also involves a digital fingerprint scan and requires the applicant to present the results of a medical examination conducted by an approved physician, along with confirmation of any required vaccinations.

Specific individuals seeking work visas or green cards may be deemed ineligible due to factors such as overstaying a previous visa, involvement in specific crimes, making misrepresentations, or other reasons.

Our lawyers provide detailed explanations of precise requirements for opening the sealed packet given by the NVC to approved applicants. We will also guide you through other essential requirements, including access at the port of entry to the U.S., the process of applying for a Social Security number card, and the information necessary for lawful permanent resident employment.

Do you help immigrants looking for temporary work in Slidell?

Many international workers want to obtain authorization for temporary employment in the U.S. At the Law Office of James A. Graham in Slidell, our immigration attorneys help applicants and their sponsors—typically employers—secure the required visa approval. Non-immigrant visas cater to temporary stays, while immigrant visas are designed for permanent residence in the U.S. But regardless of the specific work visa sought or granted, our experienced immigration lawyers are ready to provide assistance.

Do you have a Slidell work visa lawyer near me?

The Law Office of James A. Graham is located at 1929 2nd St. #A in Slidell, and we also have an office in New Orleans. Our immigration lawyers represent clients across South Louisiana, and we offer phone or video conferences for those unable to travel.

Contact our skilled Slidell immigration lawyers today

At the Law Office of James A. Graham, we support foreign workers with job prospects in Slidell or across Southern Louisiana. We also advocate for professionals and individuals exploring employment and research opportunities in the U.S. We will explain the eligibility criteria and the timing involved and will provide comprehensive guidance throughout the petition process. Please call us or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation with our experienced Slidell immigration attorneys today.