Lawful Permanent Resident Status Lawyer Slidell LA

Slidell Lawful Permanent Resident Status Lawyer

Helping Slidell immigrants obtain green cards

James Gramham Law Offices Rule

At the Law Office of James A. Graham, our Slidell immigration lawyers help those pursuing lawful permanent resident (LPR) status. If you have LPR status in Louisiana, you can work without restrictions, enlist in the U.S. armed forces, apply for and receive financial aid for public college, and apply to become a U.S. citizen—although you’ll have to qualify.

What is a lawful permanent resident (LPR)?

James Gramham Law Offices Rule

According to the Office of Homeland Security, lawful permanent residents (LPRs) are “foreign nationals who have been granted the right to reside permanently in the United States.” LPRs are often called immigrants, permanent resident aliens, and green card holders. Green card holders enjoy various rights and benefits. They are able to live and work in the U.S. as long as they want, travel in and out of the country, and apply for citizenship if they meet the eligibility requirements.

How do I seek lawful permanent resident status in Slidell?

The ways to get a green card during the application process typically depend on your location:

  • If you or the individual you are supporting lives legally in the U.S., the applicant can pursue an adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident.
  • If you or the sponsored person live outside the U.S., the applicant must begin the process through their country’s Consulate. Consular processing might also be an option for applicants who are ineligible for an adjustment of status.

The best way to obtain lawful permanent resident status varies depending on the eligibility category and individual circumstances. However, applicants should speak with an immigration attorney who can provide personalized guidance based on their unique situation.

Lawful Permanent Resident Status Louisiana

Who is eligible for lawful permanent resident status in Slidell?


To seek lawful permanent resident status, applicants must meet eligibility requirements based on these specific categories:

Family members

  • Immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, including spouses, unmarried children under 21, or parents of a U.S. citizen aged 21 or older
  • Family-based preference relatives, such as unmarried sons or daughters of a U.S. citizen (sponsor aged 21 or older), married children of a U.S. citizen, or siblings of a U.S. citizen aged 21 or older
  • Fiancé(e)s of a U.S. citizen (K-1) or their children (K-2)
  • Widows/widowers of a U.S. citizen
  • Those who have suffered battery or extreme cruelty and are abused spouses or unmarried children of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.


  • The first preference is for immigrant workers with advanced skills.
  • The second preference for immigrant workers includes those with advanced degrees or exceptional abilities in specific fields.
  • The third preference is immigrant workers who meet specific training or experience requirements, professors, and unskilled workers.

Special immigrants

  • Religious workers and certain other professionals

Human trafficking and crime victims

  • Survivors who are granted T or U visas can apply for lawful permanent resident status.

Refugees and asylum seekers

  • Some individuals may be eligible for LPR status if they have been in the U.S. for a full year.

Registry immigrants

  • Those who may qualify based on continuous residence in the U.S. since 1972.

Adult children of immigrants

  • Eligibility is determined by age
  • The Child Status Protection Act establishes provisions for those who have aged out after an immigrant petition has been filed.

Employment waivers are available for physicians working in underserved areas and investors involved in specific employment areas and projects generating jobs. U.S. employers must verify a worker's authorization to work in the country, and our Slidell immigration lawyers can assist in obtaining an Employment Authorization Document. Visa availability varies across categories, with some, like green cards for immediate family members, being consistently available while others may involve waiting for a priority date.

Can I travel outside the U.S. while I’m waiting for or have my green card?

If you're waiting for a green card or already have one, reentering the U.S. requires specific documents based on your status:

  • Advance parole document
  • Refugee travel document
  • Re-entry permit
  • TPS travel authorization
  • Carrier documentation

USCIS evaluates requests for emergency travel approval. Our Slidell immigration attorneys can assist you in planning according to your existing status.Top of Form

What does USCIS need to review an LPR application?

To apply for Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status, you must:

  • Complete the forms: Fill out forms such as Form I-485 based on your specific immigration class. Each form comes with its own set of requirements for submitting documentation and other supporting evidence.
  • Undergo medical examination and prove vaccination status: As part of the green card application, you typically need to undergo an immigration medical examination by an approved physician and provide your vaccination history.
  • File Affidavit of Support: Your sponsor must file a form (with some exceptions) demonstrating the applicant’s financial capability to support themselves in the U.S. without relying on welfare or other financial benefits and must show that they will not become a public charge.

Applicants currently in the U.S. under one immigrant visa category may explore the option of transferring their LPR status application to another category to enhance their approval prospects. Our immigration lawyers in Slidell will help you request a transfer while you are pursuing your LPR petition.

What can I do if my lawful permanent resident status application is denied?

If your application for Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status is denied, you generally have a few options:

  • Appeal: In some cases, you may have the option to appeal the decision. Appeals are typically submitted to the USCIS Administrative Appeals Office (AAO). Our lawyers are qualified to assist with the appeals process.
  • Motion to Reopen or Motion to Reconsider: You can file a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the office that made the unfavorable decision. A motion to reopen is based on new facts or evidence that was unavailable at the time of the decision. A motion to reconsider is a request for the office to reevaluate its decision based on legal arguments or a change in law.
  • Reapplying: Depending on the circumstances, you might be eligible to reapply. If your situation has changed or you can rectify the issues leading to the denial, submitting a new application may be a good option.

Consulting with an immigration attorney is crucial in such situations. Our experienced attorneys can review your case, identify the reasons for the denial, and advise you on the best course of action.

Do you have a Slidell immigration attorney near me?

The Law Office of James A. Graham has offices in New Orleans and Slidell. We also schedule phone or video conferences for South Louisiana residents who cannot travel to either of our locations.

Contact our experienced Slidell immigration lawyers today

At the Law Office of James A. Graham, our Slidell immigration lawyers have helped dozens of applicants gain lawful permanent resident status. If you need help applying for a green card, please call us or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation with a Slidell immigration lawyer today.