New Orleans Family Lawyers
Experienced representation in family law matters in New Orleans and throughout Louisiana
The love of a spouse. The joy of raising a child. The treasure of a grandparent. Families are enriching in many ways. But family law issues can also be stressful and emotional. This is your family, and your life. For these sensitive matters, you need a compassionate attorney who will work closely with you, educating you on your legal rights and options regarding these matters of the heart.
When the marriage ends, you need to protect yourself and your children. You need the experienced New Orleans family lawyers at the Law Office of James A. Graham. We’re seasoned and respected family lawyers. We handle divorces, child custody and visitation, child support, spousal support, and child relocation. Whether you’re working to preserve your family relationships or dissolve them, contact our office today. We’ll give you peace of mind.
How can we help?
- What does a New Orleans family law attorney do?
- Do you help with intrafamily adoptions in New Orleans?
- Can you assist if I need to relocate with my child?
- Can you help modify and enforce support and custody agreements?
- How can a New Orleans family lawyer help victims of domestic abuse?
- What family law services do you provide for LGBTQ+ clients?
- Do you have a family lawyer near me?
What does a New Orleans family law attorney do?
Family law attorneys wear a lot of hats. We are the ones you call when you need guidance about the end of your marriage, wish to protect your business, or are looking to grow your family through adoption. In short, a New Orleans family law attorney handles all legal issues that can affect you, your family, and your future. Contact us for assistance with:
- Child custody and visitation. At the Law Office of James A. Graham, we advocate for your right to sole, joint, or shared custody. We set forth in detail the terms of any visitation plans.
- Child support. We explain the duty of the noncustodial parent to pay child support based on the income of the parents and the expenses of the children. Once the order is entered, we represent parents when one parent wants to modify the order due to the needs of the child, changes in the income of the parents, or for other reasons. We also represent parents when child support orders are not being paid.
- Paternity. Our family lawyers understand how to file paternity lawsuits and what tests and evidence are used to prove (or disprove) paternity. Once paternity is established, we work to ensure that the father supports his child, and that the issues of child custody are resolved if the parents live apart.
- Grandparents’ rights. We know it’s hard for grandparents when a marriage ends or when their child dies, but grandparents are only granted visitation when a parent has died, been imprisoned, or declared incompetent. We can explain more about your options if the conditions have been met for you to seek visitation.
- Adult name changes. There are many reasons why adults may wish to change their names. Maybe they’ve gotten married or divorced, or are about to embark on a new business venture. In some cases, it may be for personal safety. If you wish to change your name for any reason, you have to petition the court to request the change.
Other family law related services we provide include:
Do you help with intrafamily adoptions in New Orleans?
Louisiana does have a law, called the Intrafamily Adoption law that, authorizes the adoption of your child by a stepparent if the requirements of the law are met. We’ll explain the requirements including when you need consent from the other natural parent and when you don’t – and how to prepare for any court review of your home environment.
Can you assist if I need to relocate with my child?
If you are the domiciliary parent, or if you share custody, there are certain steps you must take before you are legally allowed to move in Louisiana. Otherwise, you can be in violation of your court order. (Such steps do not apply if you child resides primarily with the other parent.)
The Law Office of James A. Graham assists parents who are seeking to relocate AND who wish to contest their coparent’s relocation. We can help you petition the court as well as modify the agreement with respect to the relocation.
Can you help modify and enforce support and custody agreements?
Child support, child custody, and spousal support are all part of your final divorce decree. That means that you must follow the rules set forth in the orders, or you can be in violation. But we know that sometimes, life hands us surprises that can affect how and where we work, live, and parent.
If you are unable to pay support because of a material change in circumstances, like a new job or a sudden illness, our New Orleans family law attorneys can petition the court on your behalf to modify your order. We also represent clients seeking to enforce an order. There are penalties associated with failing to pay support or adhere to a custody and visitation schedule; we can help.
How can a New Orleans family lawyer help victims of domestic abuse?
If you or your child is a victim of domestic abuse or violence, our first concern is for your safety. We ensure total confidentiality and discretion to all our clients, and you can work directly with a male or female member of our team.
Under Louisiana law, domestic abuse can apply to family members, household members, and intimate partners who have experienced physical or sexual abuse, or are a victim of stalking or cyberstalking. (Other criminal acts may apply, depending on your exact circumstances.) If you feel you or your child is in danger, we can petition the court for a temporary restraining order (ex parte proceeding) or a protective order. We can ensure that these orders grant you custody of your children so that they do not have to remain with the abuser.
What family law services do you provide for LGBTQ+ clients?
Since the landmark case Obergefell v. Hodges was decided in 2015, gay marriage has been legal across the country. And that means that same-sex divorce is also legal, and follows the same parameters and processes. If you are a member of the LGBTQ+ community, we can assist with a wide array of divorce and family law matters, including prenuptial agreements, child support and child custody orders, parenting plans, spousal support orders, legal name changes, and more.
But until legislation is passed, your rights may be in jeopardy – especially here in Louisiana. If you need assistance with intrafamily adoption, with business valuation, or with ensuring that your wishes will be met in the event of a divorce or your death, the Law Office of James A. Graham can help. Call us in New Orleans today to learn more.
Do you have a family lawyer near me?
The Law Office of James A. Graham is located in New Orleans and serves all of South Louisiana.
For clients who are unable to travel, we can schedule phone or video conferences when needed.
Experienced counsel for family law clients in New Orleans
At the Law Office of James A. Graham, our family lawyers understand that families grow and prosper with time. With time, families can also fracture and dissolve. We help ensure the financial and emotional futures of everyone family member represent. Our family lawyers understand how each aspect of family law affects every other aspect. Whatever the status of your family, you have a family in us. Call us or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation with a divorce lawyer in New Orleans.